Monday, August 31, 2015

(08-30-2015) Battery boxes and other R2 foot related stuff

R2 is still being worked on, but I ran into a bit of a problem with the battery boxes.  I was threading in a KHF (knurled hose fitting) that holds the battery cables on the feet when it suddenly seized and wouldn't turn any more.  I tried both ways, but it wouldn't come out, and in the end I destroyed the KHF and mangled the threads in the aluminum battery box as well.  This was a massive disappointment - but it will be fixed.

I'm now trying to find a tap that will fit the threads and re-cut them, but for now I'm in a holding pattern until I can find what I need to continue working on those.  The best news is that there is a current run of KHF on the Astromech.net site - so even though I destroyed one I was be able to buy some new ones and get the feet finished.  Usually the wait time for a part you need can take a year or more, so this was really very lucky.

I also disassembled a foot drive for test fitting and checking the mounting points to the feet.  I hope to sometime this week get the feet drilled, foot drives reassembled and mounted together - then I should be able to have R2 standing on his legs for the first time.

I've also worked on running air lines in the shop and hope to get my sandblasting cabinet installed soon so I can strip and repaint a few things that I wish had turned out better.

No comments:

Post a Comment